In my previous attempt to compile Cocos2d-x on Windows platform happened in few months ago, I was so frustrate that I'm not able to resolve the GLEW library during run-time. I know the root cause, it is either:
- the GLEW DLL wasn't there, or
- an incompatible GLEW version has been loaded.
A check on the build directory, found out there already have the GLEW DLL, so option 1 is invalid. I downloaded the GLEW library and replace the existing GLEW library and my fate still the same. Failed! Thus option 2 was out. I was running out of clue after many times of try and error, ever wonder which GLEW library did Cocos2d-x were using?
Now a few months later, when I'm looking back on the same problem, I think I'm almost there, just that I have miss out some steps left to be done. As of this writing, I'm using Cocos2d-x 3.1.1 and VS Desktop 2012 Express Edition on Windows 8. This is what I did:
- Right click on the project > Properties > Linker tab > General tab > Add the new GLEW library path where the library is downloaded into Additional Library Directories field.
- On Linker page again > Input tab > Add glew32.lib into Additional Dependencies field. (Never pick x64 version as it doesn't work.)
- Replace the new GLEW DLL with the one located in build path.
Remember not to make a clean build as this will wipe off all the stuff in build directory. If a clean build has accidentally been fired, just replace the GLEW DLL will do.