Tuesday, December 25, 2012

prngd can be resolve with apr package with AIX v5.2

Ever wonder how AIX is going to look like? Thank GOD I was given a chance to interact with this alien. My task is to install subversion package into AIX, I was lucky that this alien know rpm, otherwise I have no idea how to continue the installation without using apt-get or yum. The installation process never get easy, I have to resolve the dependencies one by one. rpm really help me out in this situation where this command will list out the dependencies required when the particular dependency package isn't there.
At one point when I was installing apr package (which is one of the Subversion dependency), it prompt me an error complaining that prngd wasn't install.
# rpm -ivh apr-1.4.6-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        prngd is needed by apr-1.4.6-1
        AIX-rpm < 5.2.0.0 is needed by apr-1.4.6-1
The documentation has stated clearly that prngd is required only in AIX v5.1 but mine is AIX v7.1, why this happen? Googling around couldn't find any solution, until I found the AIX open source packages, just download the latest version of apr, which is apr-1.4.6-1.aix5.2.ppc.rpm and install it to give it a try. And the solution is:

It works!

No comments: