Sunday, March 9, 2014

apt-get gone crazy due to my mistake

I was installing WebSphere MQ for my own research. Due to some technical mistake, I have cause some trouble on apt-get command not able to function. Below is the error I got:
...
...

chown: invalid user: ‘mqm:mqm’
chown: invalid user: ‘mqm:mqm’
chown: invalid user: ‘mqm:mqm’
dpkg: error processing mqseriesserver (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 mqseriesserver
Not knowing why this could happened to me? Due to my mistake I guess? Then I spot apt-get autoremove would lend me a help. What this command actually do?
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.
I did try on that but no luck. While I'm almost hopeless, I see some light, it is pointing to apt-get remove --purge. What this command actually do?
--purge
Use purge instead of remove for anything that would be removed. An asterisk ("*") will be displayed next to packages which are scheduled to be purged. remove --purge is equivalent to the purge command. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Purge.
For my case, I'm going to purge any of the mqseriesserver thing, thus by launching following command:
sudo apt-get remove --purge mqseriesserver
I can see the rubbish is being purge from apt-get command:
...

Removing mqseriesserver ...
Purging configuration files for mqseriesserver ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Now my apt-get is back to normal. Phew~

No comments: