Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Virtualbox failed me again.

Not sure what is happening? I came back from work and trying to start my VirtualBox, it failed to start any virtual machine with following error:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'
as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
I always forgot that whenever there is an update on the kernel module, I'm require to update the DKMS thing as well. I try the following command as suggest in here but it didn't work:
ls /var/lib/initramfs-tools | sudo xargs -n1 /usr/lib/dkms/dkms_autoinstaller start
I then try another solution as suggest in here:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms  
sudo modprobe vboxdrv
Then it works! Surprise me!

No comments: